The Mission Team works to address the needs of the local area by helping and supporting local agencies that provide for the citizens of the surrounding communities. Current projects include:
- East Lincoln Christian Ministries: In partnership with area churches, Unity supports programs to help those in need while treating them with dignity and love. Programs include counseling, crisis assistance, food and personal hygiene items, and delivered meals for the home-bound. ELCM also operates a “Closet” that provides clothing, furniture, appliances, toys, and more at very low prices. Unity volunteers help operate this endeavor.
- Unity Construction Crew: This all volunteer group performs both big and small projects pro bono for individuals in need as well as local service organizations. For example, it built a metal kwanza hut at Black Mountain Home for Children and a pole barn at Camp Grier. Smaller projects include many wheelchair ramps. The group furnishes the tools, and no specific skills are required. All ages are welcome.
- Lakewood Care Center: This is a home located in Denver for adults who have physical disabilities and need a place to live where there are people who can care for them. Volunteers at Unity identify “Lakewood Friends” and bring them snacks, gifts, games, favorite foods, books, CDs, etc. Residents are much happier knowing someone cares, become more vocal and smile more. Unity conducts special events including “clothes swaps,” special music, bingo; and fulfills special needs such as cable TV.
- East Lincoln Senior Meal: Unity is one of several churches that sponsors a luncheon for seniors in our community. The goal is to provide fellowship and local entertainment to encourage meeting new people and enjoy participating with others in the community. Unity members prepare and serve the lunch and provide the program of entertainment.
- Crisis Assistance: There are times when people find themselves in circumstances where they just need a helping hand with some immediate financial need. The Mission Team budgets money each year to provide assistance to local people who contact the church for help. Generally, this assistance is to help with overdue power bills, rent, or medical needs.
- Homeless Ministry: Ministry to the Homeless around our area happens through donation of items, monetary support, and hands-on help serving meals and handing out supplies through Hesed House and Watchmen of the Streets community based programs.
- Helping Hands: Helping Hands is an ecumenical group from the community that meets once a month to discuss the needs of the area. They serve groups like Furnish a Future, Amy’s Closet, Asbury Academy, the Birdie Program, Backpacks for Kids, Lakewood Care Center, and Student Outreach Services.
- Disaster Assistance: Unity works in conjunction with the Presbyterian Disaster Relief agency and the local Red Cross to provide support to people trying to recover from the devastation of tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, fires, and other disasters. Annually, we prepare a number of “disaster kits” containing hygiene and cleanup materials ready for distribution when needed.